NAHARIYYAH

NAHARIYYAH (Heb. נַהֲרִיָּה), city in N. Israel, 6 mi. (10 km.) N. of Acre. Nahariyyah was founded in 1934 as a village (moshavah) by a group of middle-class immigrants from Germany. Their company, headed by the engineer Yosef Levi, bought the land, and thus gained the first Jewish foothold in the Acre Plain and Western Galilee. The settlers encountered difficulties in changing over to farming from their previous occupations in commerce and the professions. They also found themselves in an endangered and isolated position when the 1936–39 Arab riots broke out. By then beginnings were made to turn Nahariyyah into a seaside resort, in addition to developing agriculture. The population, with about 1,000 in 1941, increased to 1,400 in 1945 when manufacturing, particularly in the food branch, first began. In the years just prior to statehood, Nahariyyah served as a landing place for "illegal" immigrant ships. In the War of Independence (1948), Nahariyyah, together with ten other Jewish settlements in Western Galilee founded in the preceding decade, was completely cut off by Arab Acre, and only intermittently were communications with Haifa maintained by means of small motor boats going to Haifa. With the capture of Acre by Israel forces, Nahariyyah was able to resume contact with the rest of the country and was included in the State of Israel. Numerous immigrants from various countries, mainly from Romania, North Africa, and Iraq settled there. The population grew from 9,200 in 1953 to 20,700 in 1968, 37,100 in the mid-1990s, and 47,400 in 2002, occupying a municipal area of about 4 sq. mi. (10 sq. km.). The city's economy was based on tourism and recreation, industry, farming, trade, and services. In 1968 the city had over 30 hotels and pensions with a total capacity for 1,400 tourists. On the bathing beach a breakwater was built creating two bays, for swimming and for sailboats. There were also swimming pools. Farming was mostly for specialized export crops (strawberries, avocados, flowers). Local industry included textiles, asbestos cement, metal instruments,   electrical appliances, fine mechanics, paper products, agricultural machinery, etc. A new industrial zone for large enterprises was added in the north to supplement the older industrial zone near the railroad station. The commercial center was laid out along the central avenue on both sides of the Ga'aton Stream. The hotel zone stretched mainly along the beach and the city had 21 public parks and ornamental gardens. At the turn of the 20th century, residents earned their living in industry (45%), services (40%), tourism (11%), and agriculture (4%). The city's name is derived from nahar ("stream"), referring to the Ga'aton Stream which passes through part of the city. -WEBSITE: www.nahariya.muni.il. (Efraim Orni / Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • HUMAN GEOGRAPHY — In respect of human as well as of physical geography, it is convenient to divide the Land of Israel into four major units: 1. the Mediterranean Coastal Plain 2. the hill regions of northern and central Cisjordan (west of the Jordan) 3. the Rift… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • GA'ATON — (Heb. גַּעֲתוֹן), kibbutz in the hills of northern lsrael, east of nahariyyah , affiliated with Kibbutz Arẓi Ha Shomer ha Ẓa ir. It was founded in October 1948 while under fire from nearby Arab positions. The founding group of settlers hailed… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • KABRITHA — KABRITHA, a village in the territory of Ptolemais (Acre). In the talmudic lists describing the area held by those who returned from Babylonian exile, it is located on the border between the wall of Acre to the north and the spring of Ga aton to… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • MA'ALOT-TARSHĪḤĀ — (Heb. מַעֲלוֹת־תַּרְשִּׁיחָה; Heights ), urban community in western Upper Galilee, 12 mi. (20 km.) E. of Nahariyyah, founded in 1957, to replace two ma barot in the vicinity. In 1963 Ma alot was united with the Arab village Tarshīḥā lying over 1… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • REFORM JUDAISM — REFORM JUDAISM, first of the modern interpretations of Judaism to emerge in response to the changed political and cultural conditions brought about by the emancipation . The Reform movement was a bold historical response to the dramatic events of …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • List of traditional Hebrew place names — This is a list of traditional Hebrew place names. This list includes:*Places involved in the history (and beliefs) of Canaanite religion, Abrahamic religion and Hebrew culture and the (pre Modern or directly associated Modern) Hebrew (and… …   Wikipedia

  • ACRE — (Heb. עַכּוֹ, Acco, Akko; Ar. ﻋَﻜﺎَّ ʿAkkā; Ptolemais; St. Jean d Acre) coastal city in northern Israel situated on a promontory at the northern end of the Bay of Haifa, 14 mi. (23 km.) north of Haifa, in the Acre Coastal Plain. Ancient Acre… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • ALTAR — (Heb. מִזְבֵּח, mizbe aḥ, derived from the root zbḥ (זבח), meaning to slaughter (as a sacrifice) ), originally the place where sacrificial slaughter was performed (e.g., the sacrifice of Isaac in Gen. 22). According to biblical law however,… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • ARCHAEOLOGISTS — From the beginning of modern archaeology many Jews have contributed to the work in all aspects of the field. Classical Archaeology Classical archaeology developed mainly in the German speaking parts of Europe, and by the time Jews in these areas… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • ARCHAEOLOGY — The term archaeology is derived from the Greek words archaios ( ancient ) and logos ( knowledge, discourse ) and was already used in ancient Greek literature in reference to the study of ancient times. In its modern sense it has come to mean the… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.